Sunday, December 6, 2009

Anyone else in a live-in relationship but dream of living alone?

I'm in my 50s, been with my bf for 6 years, bought a house together 2 years ago, which I now feel was a mistake (I had owned my own house w/ my kids and he had an apartment). I have 2 teens who will both be out and in college in about 4 years. Although I love my bf and he's not a horrible person to live with, I can't stop dreaming about living in my own little place someday. I really don't want to be 80 and realize I never lived alone in my whole life. He says I want to have my cake and eat it too. I'm thinking at some point I'll probably just move out and do it. I'm obsessed with the idea of living alone, my own space, my own way. Between parents/siblings, college roommates, marriage, kids and now this house, I have only lived alone for about 6 months, in my 20s. I loved it. BF says if we don't live together, the relationship will end. I don't necessarily want that but...I don't want to give up on my dream. I hope I'm not just doing the grass is always greener thing. Any thoughts? Thx



Anyone else in a live-in relationship but dream of living alone?

Sometimes you come to a point in your life where you want something for yourself, especially if you gone through marriage and divorce, having and raising kids, etc. I think if you and your boyfriend are doing good, then I don't think you should break up something good...I think you should take time for yourself to just do your own thing. Why not go away for a week long vacation just by yourself? Try to do some activities that will give you that feeling of independence.



But only you know what will make you happy...do you really want your own place, or you just want a bit more independence? Try to decide what's more important to you and if you can compromise and make yourself happy in other ways.



Good luck.



Anyone else in a live-in relationship but dream of living alone?

It does sound like a grass is greener thing, but yes I have had the same feelings/ thoughts.



Anyone else in a live-in relationship but dream of living alone?

Life is short. Follow your dreams.



Anyone else in a live-in relationship but dream of living alone?

I am living with my boyfriend now. But before that I lived alone for 2 years and was terribly lonely, I tried to find roommates but most were too crazy or dangerous to themselves. I am happy living with my boyfriend now.



But I will admit that at first it was a cozy and uplifting feeling to know that I had my own little place and I didn't have to answer to anyone about it. It was my retreat from the world, and it was kind of a fantastic little abode.



But eventually I needed to have someone to share it with. It was so empty and quiet. And when I got home after a long day, there wasn't anyone there to talk to or cuddle with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting talk