Friday, December 25, 2009

I live in nyc and have a lease in a one bedroom apartment. Am I allowed to have a roommate?

I've lived in this rent stabilized building for years now... the owner really wants me out so he can raise the rent. The thing is, I don't think he wants me to have roommates... I live in a one bedroom with living room and kitchen.. but then i have a HUGE walkin closet that is really a small bedroom. Is it ok for me to have a roommate without putting anyone else on the lease? Again, I live in manhattan.... thanks!



I live in nyc and have a lease in a one bedroom apartment. Am I allowed to have a roommate?

Most tenancy contracts state that subletting is forbidden - for essential purposes, taking rent money from someone else who's living in the property you hold a rental lease for, without your landlord giving consent, is effectively subletting. You'd be in breach on your contract and risk eviction. Even were your landlord never to find out about your arrangment, subletting is risky; your new roommate might trash the place, leaving you responsible for picking up the repair bills. They might default on rent payments, upet the neighbours and have no legal obligation for any of it.



You may also find that there are regulations about the size of the space one can advertise and let as a room - they're designed purely to prevent people from letting out their closets and crawl spaces as rooms.



If you want a roommate, you need to consider finding another apartment, or asking your landlord if you can adjust the contract to suit a joint tenancy.



I live in nyc and have a lease in a one bedroom apartment. Am I allowed to have a roommate?

What does your lease say? That is where you will find your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting talk